Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Texture Sensitive

This soup recipe showed up in the New York Times last week and it seemed perfect for our vegetarian experiment--didn't rely on pasta, all familiar ingredients, included beans (love me some beans). I made a batch this weekend with the recommended whole wheat couscous and dug in with great anticipation. And it was gross. Really gross.

I am texture sensitive. There. I've acknowledged my pickiness and admitted my weakness to the world. It's only getting worse as I get older and become a better cook. I know how I like my food prepared, I know how to make food that I like, and my standards are getting higher with every year. Something about this recipe just hit me all wrong. Unfortunately, it makes a big batch so we're wasting food (the Mister was just as unenthused) but I know there's no way we'll be having a second serving. We eat so many of our meals at home we've made our peace with the fact that a certain percentage of our meals will fail and you have to throw food away.
Back to the vegetarian drawing board. In the meantime, I have a lovely pork loin in the crock pot.

No comments: