Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Thursday, January 15, 2009

Collectibles

I started collecting these compote dishes a couple of years ago when I found a set of 3 for $15 in a vintage store in Ft. Morgan. Once I had purchased the first three it seemed like every few months I would find another one at a thrift store or garage sale and my grandmother's collector's spirit would take over and another piece would end up in my china hutch.

After a while I got curious about it and finally did a little research. It turns out there was a whole set of dishes and serving pieces produced by Anchor-Hocking from 1959 to 1976. A quick search on eBay and Etsy will tell you that they're still not valuable at all, but that's made my obsession even worse because they're so affordable. Is it cheating to order them off the internet? I've discovered so many pieces that I've never seen before--and they're so pretty! Just last week I found one of the serving platters at a thrift store and it became part of my collection.
For someone who resolved to simplify her life this year (and reduce the clutter in the house) I'm not off to a good start!
Image found here.

No comments: