Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Monday, January 12, 2009

2008 Reading Recap

I read 59 books in 2008. I beat my goal by 7! Here is the list in the order that I read them, with a few exceptions as some of the books were for research on personal topics. My favorites have links to their Amazon page:

In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson
Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith, Anne Lamott
Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott
Won't Take Nothing for My Journey Now, Maya Angelou
Lean Mean Thirteen, Janet Evanovich
What You Have Left, Will Allison
Tomorrow, Graham Swift
The Godmother, Carrie Adams
Here If You Need Me, Kate Braestrup
The Last Summer (Of You and Me), Ann Brashares
My Father's War, Lucinda Franks
Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her, Melanie Rehak
Bad Luck and Trouble, Lee Childs
Can You Keep A Secret? Sophie Kinsella
The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
The Mermaid Chair, Sue Monk Kidd
The Promise, Oral Lee Brown
Born Standing Up, Steve Martin
T is for Trespass, Sue Grafton
The Year of Living Biblically, A.J. Jacobs
Dead Heat, Dick Francis and Felix Francis
Trip Wire, Lee Childs
Shakespeare, Bill Bryson
Without Fail, Lee Child
Time Bandit, Andy and Johnathan Hillstrand
Mrs. Greenthumbs, Cassandra Danz
Mrs. Greenthumbs Plows Ahead, Cassandra Danz
The Violin Maker, John Marchese
Mozart's Sister, Nancy Moser
The Chris Farley Show, Tom Farley Jr. and Tanner Colby
Out-Takes From a Marriage, Ann Leary
A Reporter's Life: Peter Jennings, Kate Darriton, etc.
Hate Mail From Cheerleaders, Rick Reilly
The Art of Learning, Josh Waitzkin
City of Fire, Robert Ellis
Stolen Into the Night, Patricia MacDonald
The Ex-Debutante, Linda Francis Lee
Fearless Fourteen, Janet Evanovich
Certain Women, Madeleine L'Engle
Eat, Pray, Love; Elizabeth Gilbert
unChristian, David Kinnaman
Getting Rid of Matthew, Jane Fallon
The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Twilight at Monticello, Alan Pell Crawford
America: The Last, Best Hope; William J. Bennett
Unveiled, Deborah Kanafani
Another Man's Moccasins, Craig Johnson
Redemption, Lee Jackson
Letters to a Young Teacher, Jonathan Kozol
Diary of a Real Estate Rookie, Alison Rogers
Franklin and Lucy, Joseph E. Persico
The Last Qeen, C.W. Gortner
Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortensen and David Oliver Relin

3 comments:

Becky Vartabedian said...

I read *Born Standing Up* in no fewer than two hours. I could not put it down. Totally, completely compelling and I like his voice there. It's detached and invested at once.

sulu-design said...

Quite an impressive feat, and quite an impressive list. Thanks for highlighting the best.
Here's to good reading in 2009!

Kimberly said...

WOW! I'm impressed - that's quite the list! You rock! My list would be quite small comparatively! Looks like there are some interesting reads on the list - I'll have to check some out before my little one gets here - because you know all I'll be reading are kids books once she does :-) Actually, I can't wait :-)
Hugs!
Kimberly