Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Monday, April 21, 2008

Yummy In My Tummy

My brother-in-law's grandmother wrote a cookbook and history of Routt County, Colorado in 1990 (-ish). I am the proud owner of one of the few copies as there was only one printing. Elaine is a remarkable lady who just celebrated her 90th birthday. In honor of her achievements, I'm posting one of her recipes that I adapted recently by adding wheat flour to increase the fiber. It makes a lovely, dense, slightly sweet loaf of bread. I use my dough hook and stand mixer because kneading this by hand would probably kill me.



Elaine's Oatmeal Bread:
2 c. milk
1/4 c. warm water
2 T butter
1 pkg. yeast
2 c. oats
1/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp. salt
2 c. wheat flour
2 1/2 c. (approx.) white flour

Scald milk and set aside to cool. Soften yeast in warm water for 8-10 minutes. Mix oatmeal, sugar, salt and butter in the mixing bowl. Add hot milk and mix until lukewarm. Add yeast and water mixture. Add 2 c. wheat flour, mix well. Slowly add additional 2 to 2 1/2 c. white flour and knead for 8 - 10 minutes. Cover, let rise, punch down. Divide in half and form two balls. Rest in loaf pans for 10 minutes (depending on the type of pan you may need to grease them first). Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

1 comment:

sulu-design said...

What a fabulous book! The cover illustration and the content that you described sounds wonderful. You're lucky to have a copy of such a treasure. Now I'll have to try that bread out...