Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sewing Sweet

My mom is an amazing seamstress. When it was time to plan my wedding, I asked her to make my dress. I didn't want store-bought, which was quite a departure from my childhood when she wanted to make my clothes and I didn't think they were cool enough. Now that I am older and finally coming to terms with my pear shape, I'm looking more at making my own clothes. Until stores will finally acknowledge that a woman can be smaller on the top than she is on the bottom, I am going to try my hand at my own needle-and-thread revolution. Take up your seam rippers, ladies! Arm yourselves with a good pair of shears--we're taking back our wardrobes!

Now that homemade is cool again and the revolution is starting, I am gaining a new appreciation for Mom's skills and efforts. Last night was my first time at a sewing machine since I was 12 and mom helped me make a sundress. Our two new throw pillows look charming and lovely (as well as perfectly constructed) on our sofa. They are the direct result of 2 1/2 hours of "slow and careful" and the byproduct of 33 years of Mom's "loving and patient". Thanks, Mom.

No comments: