Mostly I just putter.

Doctoral student, amateur cook, beginning sewer.

Mostly I just putter.





Monday, December 1, 2008

Reading

Still on a history kick...Franklin and Lucy is interesting (I'll probably finish tonight) but it's taking me a long time to finish. Haven't had very many blocks of time to read with the holiday and travel preparations.

Have been debating for weeks about what/how many books to take on our trip. We're flying from Denver to Las Vegas to Honolulu to Sydney (gah!) so I'll have plenty of time to read. One big fat book or several shorter books? What if the big fat book is boring and I'm stuck over the Pacific with nothing to do? What if I finish all of the shorter books that are in the cabin with me and I can't get to the books I packed in my checked luggage? These are REALLY stupid questions (good grief, how self-absorbed can one person be?), but at the root of all of this is my anxiety about being cooped up in a plane for all of those hours. I'm not exactly nervous about flying, but I don't deal well with boredom and being stuck in one place. I think I'm anxious about becoming anxious! I think I'll end up taking the big fat book and buying other books during the layovers as I need them. Could be expensive, but definitely worth it.

No comments: